Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet has accused Thai forces of continuing to occupy parts of Cambodian territory despite a ceasefire agreement reached last year, urging Thailand to allow a joint boundary commission to begin work on resolving the long-running border dispute. In his first interview with international media since assuming office in 2023, Hun Manet described the situation along the frontier as fragile and warned that tensions could escalate again without concrete steps toward demarcation.
Speaking during a visit to Washington, Hun Manet said Cambodian authorities believe Thai troops remain positioned beyond even Thailand’s own claimed boundary lines in several areas. He alleged that shipping containers and barbed wire had been placed inside territory Cambodia considers its own, preventing displaced residents from returning home. Calling the situation a violation of Cambodia’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, he emphasised that technical verification through the existing joint boundary commission mechanism was the only way to resolve competing claims. Thailand has denied occupying Cambodian land, maintaining that troop deployments are consistent with agreed de-escalation measures and that no reinforcements have been made.
The border tensions follow the worst fighting between the two neighbours in more than a decade, which erupted in July and displaced hundreds of thousands of people while disrupting trade across the 817-kilometre frontier. An earlier peace agreement brokered with international involvement collapsed within weeks before a new ceasefire was reached on December 27. Hun Manet said Cambodia hopes the joint boundary commission can begin demarcation work soon, noting that Thailand had earlier cited its February election as a reason for delaying discussions.
During the interview, Hun Manet also highlighted improving relations with the United States, marking a shift after years in which Cambodia had moved closer to China. A graduate of the US Military Academy at West Point, the 48-year-old leader said Phnom Penh seeks balanced relations with both major powers, stressing that partnerships with China and the United States are “not mutually exclusive.” He added that Cambodia remains transparent about infrastructure projects such as the China-backed upgrade of the Ream naval base and intends to maintain a foreign policy based on cooperation with multiple partners.
Addressing international concerns, Hun Manet said his government is working to dismantle cyber scam centres that have proliferated in Cambodia and have been linked to global fraud operations. He acknowledged the existence of such networks but insisted authorities are taking action by shutting down compounds, deporting individuals involved, and drafting legislation aimed at curbing online scams. The issue has drawn scrutiny from Washington, which previously imposed sanctions targeting individuals connected to large-scale fraud operations operating from Cambodian territory.
Hun Manet also responded to criticism regarding human rights and democratic standards, arguing that governance should be assessed across broader indicators including healthcare, education, and social freedoms. His remarks come as Cambodia continues to face international scrutiny over press freedom and political competition following the 2023 elections that brought him to power after his father, long-time leader Hun Sen, stepped down.
The interview reflects Cambodia’s attempt to stabilise a sensitive border situation while simultaneously repositioning itself diplomatically, balancing ties with global powers and addressing international concerns over security and cybercrime.