King Charles on the arrest of his brother Andrew: The law must have its way


King Charles III on Thursday called for a “full, fair and proper” investigation following the arrest of his younger brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, who is under investigation on suspicion of misconduct in public office amid renewed scrutiny over his association with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

In a written statement, the King said he learned of the development “with the deepest concern” and emphasised that the matter must now proceed through established legal channels. He stressed that the investigation should be carried out by the appropriate authorities in accordance with due process and reaffirmed that the royal household would fully cooperate with law-enforcement agencies. The monarch added that the law must be allowed to take its course and indicated that he would refrain from further public comment while proceedings remain ongoing, stating that he and his family would continue their official duties and public service.

Earlier in the day, Thames Valley Police confirmed that a man had been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office and that searches were being conducted at properties in Berkshire and Norfolk connected to the suspect. Although police declined to publicly identify the individual in line with national guidelines, British media widely reported that the arrest involved Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, who turned 66 on the same day.

Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said the detention followed a detailed assessment of allegations and highlighted the need to preserve the integrity and impartiality of the investigation. He acknowledged the considerable public interest surrounding the case while stressing that investigators must ensure objectivity as inquiries continue in coordination with partner agencies. Under UK law, arrests require reasonable grounds to suspect that an offence may have occurred and that taking a suspect into custody is necessary for investigative purposes.

Political leaders also responded to the development. British Prime Minister Keir Starmer stated that the principle of equality before the law must apply universally. Speaking to BBC News, he said anyone with relevant information should cooperate with authorities and emphasised that no individual, regardless of status, is exempt from legal scrutiny.

The arrest follows renewed attention triggered by the release of additional Epstein-related documents by the US Congress, which revived allegations connected to Andrew’s past interactions with the financier. In response to the growing controversy, Buckingham Palace earlier issued an uncommon public statement indicating that it stood ready to assist any police investigation into Andrew’s conduct. The Palace also noted that while the King had expressed serious concern about continuing allegations, specific claims were matters for Andrew himself to address.

The royal household further stated that King Charles III and Queen Camilla’s thoughts remained with victims of abuse. Public reaction has increasingly affected royal engagements, with the monarch reportedly facing protests and heckling during recent appearances. Kensington Palace, speaking on behalf of the Prince and Princess of Wales, also expressed deep concern regarding ongoing revelations and reiterated sympathy for victims.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, who was stripped of his titles of Prince and Duke of York last year, has consistently denied any wrongdoing. Police have cautioned media organisations and the public to avoid reporting that could risk contempt of court while legal proceedings and investigative steps continue.


 

buttons=(Accept !) days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Learn More
Accept !