Union Electronics and IT Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw on Tuesday apologised to attendees who faced inconvenience during the opening day of the India AI Impact Summit 2026, describing the turnout as “phenomenal” and assuring that the government is committed to addressing concerns to improve the overall experience. Speaking at a press conference at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi, where the summit is being held, the minister acknowledged the operational challenges caused by unexpectedly large crowds and said corrective measures were already underway.
Vaishnaw said more than 70,000 people attended the summit on the day, highlighting the immense enthusiasm surrounding what organisers have described as one of the world’s largest gatherings focused on artificial intelligence. He noted that the strong participation reflected growing interest among visitors, industry leaders, and exhibitors, adding that the atmosphere at the venue demonstrated the scale of excitement around AI innovation. While stating that arrangements had improved significantly, he apologised to anyone who encountered difficulties during the first day’s proceedings.
Emphasising the government’s willingness to respond to feedback, the minister said organisers remain open to suggestions from participants and are working continuously to ensure smoother operations. He revealed that a dedicated “war room” had been established to monitor issues in real time, with teams working around the clock to streamline entry processes, manage crowds, and enhance coordination throughout the event.
The summit’s opening day drew thousands of attendees, including startup founders, representatives from global technology companies, policymakers, and international delegates. However, the heavy turnout led to overcrowding, long queues, and delays at multiple entry points due to overlapping security checks and logistical confusion. Participants were advised to arrive early to account for congestion and extended waiting times.
Several exhibitors reported operational disruptions, including temporary evacuation of stalls during security sweeps ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s inauguration visit. Dhananjay Yadav, co-founder and CEO of Neo Sapien, alleged that wearable devices displayed at his booth went missing during the evacuation, describing the experience as disappointing after significant investment in travel, logistics, and exhibition arrangements.
Other founders echoed concerns about communication gaps and coordination issues. Punit Jain, founder of Reskill, said exhibitors and delegates were left waiting outside for extended periods without clear instructions, arguing that limited access arrangements should have been communicated in advance. Entrepreneur Priyanshu Ratnakar also pointed to connectivity problems, including unreliable Wi-Fi and mobile networks, registration glitches, and congestion, describing the situation as prioritising optics over execution.
Despite the initial challenges, organisers stated that steps were taken throughout the day to improve crowd flow and access management, with expectations of smoother functioning during the remaining days of the summit. The event, scheduled to run until February 20, is being positioned as a major global platform for discussions on artificial intelligence, bringing together governments, technology firms, startups, and researchers to shape future AI governance and innovation. Many participants remain optimistic that improved coordination in subsequent sessions will allow the summit to fully realise its potential as a key international AI forum.