At least 24 people were killed, and several others suffered severe injuries after a powerful explosion ripped through an area near a railway track in Quetta on Sunday, according to a report by the Associated Press. Authorities said many of the injured victims remain in critical condition, raising fears that the death toll could increase further as rescue and medical operations continue.
Soon after the explosion, the banned separatist organisation Baloch Liberation Army, commonly known as the BLA, claimed responsibility for the attack. In a statement released after the blast, the group described the incident as a “fidayeen” or suicide attack allegedly targeting Pakistani military personnel travelling on a train in the region.
According to Pakistani broadcaster ARY News, which cited local police officials, the blast occurred near the Chaman Phatak area of Quetta. The explosion reportedly took place close to a railway track and was followed by a fire that quickly spread around parts of the site. Residents living nearby, along with emergency response teams and fire brigade personnel, rushed to the location immediately after the blast in an attempt to rescue victims and control the flames.
Quetta, the capital city of Balochistan province, has long remained one of the most violence-prone regions in Pakistan due to ongoing insurgency and separatist movements operating in the area.
Police officials stated that the blast caused extensive destruction across the surrounding neighbourhood. The powerful impact shattered windows and glass panels of nearby buildings, while several homes located close to the railway line sustained structural damage. Multiple vehicles parked in the area were also reportedly damaged by the force of the explosion.
Security personnel and rescue workers quickly sealed off the area following the incident as emergency operations continued throughout the day. Authorities deployed additional police and security forces to maintain order and assist in rescue efforts while investigators began examining the site.
Local media reports indicated that one coach of the Jaffer Express caught fire during the blast. The train was reportedly preparing to depart from Quetta and travel toward Peshawar at the time of the incident.
Witnesses at the scene described scenes of panic and chaos as smoke rose from the damaged area while rescue teams searched through debris for survivors. Images from the site showed residents, security personnel, and emergency responders gathered near the railway track as operations continued.
Babar Yousafzai, Balochistan’s Special Assistant for Home Affairs, stated that authorities were still gathering and verifying information regarding the incident. He said further details would be shared once official confirmation became available.
Yousafzai also announced that all relevant government institutions and emergency departments had been placed on high alert following the explosion. He urged local residents to avoid gathering near the blast site to allow rescue workers and security teams to continue operations without obstruction.
In its official statement, the BLA claimed that the attack had been carried out by its so-called Majeed Brigade, which the organisation describes as its “self-sacrificing” or suicide unit. The group alleged that the operation specifically targeted a train carrying personnel from the Pakistani Army departing from Quetta Cantonment.
“This morning, the Majeed Brigade, the fidayee (self-sacrificing) unit of the Baloch Liberation Army, targeted a train transporting personnel of the occupying forces from Quetta Cantt in a highly organised fidayee attack,” the group said in its statement.
The BLA further claimed full responsibility for the operation and stated that additional information regarding the attack, including details about casualties and material damage allegedly inflicted on Pakistani security forces, would be released later through an official media statement.
The latest attack once again highlights the worsening security situation in Balochistan, where separatist insurgent groups have repeatedly targeted security forces, infrastructure projects, trains, and government facilities in recent years. The province has witnessed frequent militant attacks linked to separatist movements demanding greater autonomy or independence from Pakistan.
Pakistani authorities are expected to launch a major investigation into the Quetta explosion, while security measures across sensitive locations, railway infrastructure, and military facilities are likely to be tightened following the deadly incident.
