US President Donald Trump on Saturday stated that the United States and Iran were moving significantly closer toward reaching a major agreement aimed at ending the ongoing conflict between the two countries. Trump indicated that negotiations had made considerable progress in recent days and revealed that he would likely decide by Sunday whether to resume military action against Tehran if diplomatic efforts failed to produce a final breakthrough.
Speaking during an interview with CBS News, Trump said the proposed agreement under discussion would ensure that Iran would not obtain a nuclear weapon and that Tehran’s stockpile of enriched uranium would be handled in a manner acceptable to Washington. The US president stressed that he would not approve any compromise unless all American demands were fully satisfied.
“I will only sign a deal where we get everything we want,” Trump said during the interview while emphasizing that the United States intended to maintain a hardline negotiating position throughout the discussions.
According to multiple reports, the latest proposal being discussed between the two sides includes several key elements aimed at easing tensions and stabilising the region. These reportedly include steps to reopen the strategically critical Strait of Hormuz, the release and unfreezing of certain Iranian financial assets currently held in foreign banks, and the continuation of structured negotiations between Tehran and Washington on broader security and economic issues.
The Strait of Hormuz remains one of the world’s most important energy transit routes, carrying a significant share of global oil and gas supplies. Shipping activity through the corridor has faced major disruptions since military tensions escalated earlier this year following joint US-Israeli strikes on Iranian targets and subsequent retaliatory attacks by Tehran.
Trump also told Axios that he was scheduled to meet senior US negotiators Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner later on Saturday to review Iran’s latest response to the proposed framework agreement. Vice President JD Vance is also expected to participate in the discussions as the administration weighs its next course of action.
Meanwhile, Pakistani Field Marshal Asim Munir, who has been playing an increasingly visible role as a mediator between Tehran and Washington, departed from Tehran on Saturday after holding a series of meetings with senior Iranian officials. Munir reportedly attempted to push negotiations forward and encourage both sides to finalise the agreement.
Following the meetings, Pakistan stated that there had been “encouraging progress toward a final understanding,” although officials acknowledged that the agreement had not yet been formally completed or signed.
Representatives from Iran, the United States, and mediator Pakistan all indicated on Saturday that negotiations had produced measurable progress toward ending nearly three months of escalating conflict and military tensions between Tehran and Washington.
Trump further stated that he planned to review the latest Iranian draft agreement with his advisers before making a final decision regarding whether military operations against Iran should resume.
“Either we reach a good deal, or I’ll blow them to a thousand hells,” Trump told Axios, once again combining diplomatic messaging with strong military warnings directed at Tehran.
Since a ceasefire was declared approximately six weeks ago, Trump has repeatedly alternated between threatening military action and promoting diplomatic negotiations. The ceasefire was initially introduced to create space for talks focused primarily on Iran’s nuclear programme and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.
During the CBS News interview, Trump said negotiations were improving steadily “every day,” although he declined to publicly reveal detailed provisions of the proposed agreement.
“I can’t tell you before I tell them, right?” Trump remarked when asked about specific terms currently being negotiated.
According to sources cited by CBS News, Trump is still considering multiple proposals and has not yet reached a final decision regarding the agreement. Officials familiar with the discussions said the president continues consulting with senior advisers while also speaking directly with foreign leaders, particularly from Saudi Arabia and other Gulf nations affected by regional instability.
Three sources quoted by CBS News stated that Trump was scheduled to hold phone conversations on Saturday afternoon with leaders from Gulf countries and several other nations to discuss the ongoing Iran negotiations and potential next steps.
One regional official reportedly said that several Middle Eastern leaders remain uncertain about which direction Trump may ultimately choose, given his simultaneous pursuit of diplomacy and willingness to consider renewed military operations.
Trump also issued another stark warning regarding the consequences of negotiation failure. He stated that if the United States and Iran were unable to reach an agreement, Tehran could face unprecedented retaliation and severe consequences.
“If the US and Iran do not come to an agreement, we’re going to have a situation where no country will ever be hit as hard as they’re about to be hit,” Trump warned during his remarks.
The president has repeatedly escalated his rhetoric in recent weeks while attempting to pressure Iran into accepting Washington’s demands. Earlier, Trump had warned that “a whole civilization will die” without an agreement, and recently declared that “the Clock ticking” for Iran, suggesting that time for diplomacy may be running out.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio also indicated on Saturday that important developments in the negotiations could emerge soon. Speaking ahead of a formal dinner event at the US Embassy in New Delhi, Rubio acknowledged that active diplomatic work was continuing behind the scenes.
“There’s been some progress done, some progress made, even as I speak to you now, there’s some work being done,” Rubio said while addressing reporters.
He further suggested that an announcement regarding the negotiations could potentially come within days. “There is a chance that, whether it’s later today, tomorrow, in a couple of days, we may have something to say, but this issue needs to be solved, as the president said, one way or another,” Rubio added.
The latest developments indicate that negotiations between the United States and Iran may be approaching a decisive stage, with both diplomacy and the possibility of renewed military escalation remaining firmly on the table as world leaders closely monitor the outcome.
