The gunman who opened fire at a United States Secret Service checkpoint outside the White House has been identified as Nasire Best, according to a report published by the New York Post. Authorities are continuing to investigate the incident, while early findings suggest the attacker may have been suffering from serious mental instability.
Although investigators have not yet determined a definitive motive behind the shooting, reports indicate that Best had a history of unusual and disruptive behaviour near White House security zones. Officials familiar with the case reportedly said he had been repeatedly flagged by Secret Service personnel in the past for loitering around restricted entry checkpoints and behaving suspiciously near protected federal areas.
According to reports, Best had previously been arrested twice last year on charges connected to disruptive conduct around the White House perimeter. These incidents reportedly involved offences such as obstructing vehicular traffic and unlawfully entering a restricted pedestrian control zone monitored by federal security personnel.
During earlier interactions with law enforcement officers from both the Washington DC Police Department and the Secret Service, Best allegedly made bizarre statements claiming that he wanted to be arrested because he believed he was the modern-day incarnation of Jesus Christ.
Investigators are therefore examining the possibility that the shooting may have been linked primarily to mental health issues rather than an organised political motive. However, federal agencies have stated that the investigation remains active and authorities are still working to determine whether ideological, political, or other motivations may also have played a role in the attack.
Reports further stated that a court order had previously been issued instructing Best to stay away from the White House premises and surrounding restricted areas. Despite the order, authorities believe the 21-year-old violated those restrictions and returned to the area before the shooting occurred.
On May 24, according to Indian Standard Time, Secret Service officials reportedly noticed Best behaving suspiciously near 17th Street Northwest close to the White House security perimeter. Witnesses and investigators said he suddenly pulled out a firearm and began firing multiple shots in the area.
At least one bystander was struck during the gunfire and reportedly suffered serious injuries. Authorities have not yet released detailed information regarding the victim’s current medical condition.
Officials stated that members of the Secret Service Uniformed Division reacted immediately after the shooting began. Security personnel reportedly returned fire rapidly and successfully neutralised the suspect during the exchange of gunfire.
Best sustained gunshot wounds during the confrontation and was transported to a nearby hospital for emergency treatment. However, doctors later declared him dead.
The incident triggered a major security response across the White House complex, leading to temporary lockdown measures and heightened federal security operations in the surrounding area.
Kash Patel, director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, stated that federal authorities are continuing to investigate the case and promised that additional details would be shared with the public as the inquiry progresses.
“FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds - we will update the public as we’re able,” Patel said in a statement shared through social media platform X.
Federal investigators are now expected to examine Best’s background, digital activity, previous interactions with law enforcement, and mental health history as part of efforts to determine the full circumstances behind the attack near one of the most heavily protected locations in the United States.
