A dispute over a missing mobile phone escalated into a confrontation between students from the Northeast and local students at a nursing college in Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh, prompting senior officials to intervene and move the students to separate accommodation.
The incident occurred at SK College of Nursing after a mobile phone belonging to a student from the Northeast was reportedly found missing on August 21. The disagreement over the phone allegedly led to a confrontation between students from northeastern states, including Manipur, and Telugu-speaking students.
The situation was brought under control after the District Collector and Superintendent of Police stepped in and instructed officials to address the tensions at the hostel.
STUDENTS MOVED TO SEPARATE ACCOMMODATION
Following protests by students from both groups, those from the Northeast were shifted to separate accommodation.
As a precaution, 31 students from other states were also moved to a different hostel with their consent to prevent the situation from escalating further.
The district administration and police made arrangements to ensure the safety and security of the students.
According to the Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister's Office, Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu reviewed the incident and instructed senior officials to resolve the issue immediately.
Acting on his directions, the District Collector and SP ensured the students' safety, arranged alternative accommodation and took measures to prevent further escalation.
The CMO later said the matter had been resolved.
MANIPUR STUDENTS THANK AUTHORITIES
Students from Manipur expressed their gratitude to the authorities for intervening and making arrangements for their safety.
After being shifted to the new accommodation, the students said they were safe and thanked the administration for providing separate lodging and ensuring their security.
The incident also drew the attention of former Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh, who said he had contacted the Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister's Office regarding the matter.
"I have been informed that the students have been moved to a different building and that a lady Sub-Inspector is being stationed with them for the night," Singh said in a post on X.
He thanked Naidu for his "kind and timely intervention" and said the prompt steps taken to safeguard the students were appreciated.
MISSING PHONE SPARKS HOSTEL TENSION
The dispute reportedly started after a mobile phone belonging to a student from the Northeast went missing on August 21.
The disagreement between the two groups allegedly intensified, leading to tension inside the hostel.
Some students from the Northeast were reportedly injured during the confrontation, with visuals showing individuals with apparent injuries. The students also reportedly sought shelter inside the hostel as tensions grew.
After the incident was brought to the attention of the district administration and police, senior officials intervened and instructed local authorities to visit the hostel and address the situation.
As a precautionary step, the administration subsequently moved the two groups to separate accommodations.
SITUATION BROUGHT UNDER CONTROL
Officials said the situation is now under control, with the students expressing satisfaction over the response from the district administration and police.
The CMO said the matter had been resolved amicably and that students from the northeastern states were satisfied with the authorities' intervention.
Authorities are continuing to focus on maintaining the students' safety and ensuring there is no further escalation at the college hostel.
